Curry Night with one of Madhur Jaffrey's Curries, Vegetarian Green Lentil Curry with Kale
Here's a recipe from Madhur Jeffray that I recently cooked for the family for curry night. This recipe serves 4 people.
You can also watch my video on my YouTube Channel which shows me preparing the the Dhal.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 1/4 cups dried green lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 3/4-inch lengths
- 4 ounces kale, stemmed and leaves finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, coriander and ground cumin.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of water to make a paste.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook over moderately high heat for 5 seconds, just until sizzling.
- Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the spice paste and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until thick, about 1 minute longer.
- In a saucepan, combine the lentils with the turmeric and 5 cups of water; bring to a boil.
- Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the lentils are barely tender. Add the green beans, kale, carrot, three-fourths of the cilantro and the cayenne and season with salt.
- Cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 15 minutes. Scrape in the spice paste and the remaining cilantro.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, and serve.
Serve with steamed basmati rice, warm naan and plain yogurt.